[Paraview] clipping cylinders...

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 28 17:12:53 EDT 2007

> If I understand the first point,
> I can't get the second.

Short answer: you can fix the shading by running the result through the
Normals Generation filter (although you first have to convert from
unstructured grid back to polygon data with the Extract Surface filter).
A quicker way is to go to the display panel and change the Interpolation
to Flat, although this will also make the smooth surfaces look faceted.

> BTW, how can I cut two cylinders at mid-height by one horizontal plane
?

> Due to an issue already seen here (related to color lost with clip
> filter for instance),
> I guess it is not possible to cut two cylinders which have two
different
> colors, right ?

The ability to color different parts of a group with different colors is
something we are working on, but it will be a little while.  That
feature will be in ParaView 3.4 at the earliest.  If you want to, you
can use the Extract Group filter to pull back out the cylinders of the
clipped group one at a time.

Another solution is to add the clip filter separately to the two
cylinders and then link the plane of the two clip filters (Tools ->
Manage Links), although that is probably not exactly what you are
looking for, either.

-Ken