[Paraview] pvserver and pvclikent pvrenderserver question

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 28 11:45:57 EDT 2007

It is generally best to just use pvclient on whatever machine is closest
to you and to use pvserver on a cluster best matching your problem.  It
sounds like you have two different types of nodes: nodes with graphics
cards and nodes without graphics cards.  If the nodes with graphics
cards have CPU capabilities similar to that of the nodes without, I
would just use the nodes with graphics cards.  If you have a lot more
CPU power on nodes without graphics cards, I would simply compile with
MESA and use the GPU-less nodes with software rendering (or, if you can,
use all of the nodes at the same time and let the GPUs sit idle).

The pvrenderserver/pvdataserver programs are supposed to handle the
heterogeneity of nodes with and without graphics nodes.  However, I
would not recommend using that solution.  In practice, we have found
that this method wastes more time in network communication and idle
processing time than it saves in trying to manage the heterogeneity.

-Ken