[Paraview] clipping cylinders...

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 27 16:19:34 EDT 2007

There are a couple of things happening here.  First, the data associated
with the transform filters are still visible and being drawn on top of
the clipped group.  The visibility of the transform filters really
should be turned off when the group filter is applied (that was the
behavior of ParaView 2.6 and makes more sense).  I submitted a bug
(http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=5580) for this.  It should be
easy to fix and I expect the fix to be in ParaView 3.2.  In the mean
time, just click off the eyeballs next to the transform filters.

The second thing that you are seeing here (which you may already be
familiar with) is that the clip filter is changing the shading at the
endcaps.  The cylinder has a somewhat funny feature in the geometry
where the points are duplicated to give a different normal for the side
and top surfaces.  Some filters, like the clip filter, use a point
locator that resolves these points into a single point, a process that
can mangle the normals.

-Ken