[Paraview] Xdmf roadmap

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Aug 21 05:22:27 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have difficulties finding information about Kitware's roadmap with
Xdmf. There has been some recent changes. It now is back in the CVS
version, but we hesitate to use it.

We have projects currently dumping data in HDF5, and it would take minor
changes to make our data compatible with the group/dataset structure
implied by the Xdmf layer. But is it worth the trouble.

What are goals of the Xdmf support? Deadlines?
When will parallel-read support be implemented in ParaView3? (I have
tried and what I see is that process 0 reads the whole mesh, while the
others processes do nothing).

There are also some issues in writing data (e.g.
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=5493).

In short, what can be expected in future support for Xdmf, or is it lost
in priority among all other data formats.

JeanF