[Paraview] PV3: Animation from legacy VTK timewise files

Jason Hoogland jdhoogland at wbmpl.com.au
Mon Aug 20 23:59:05 EDT 2007

This is probably really simple but I can't figure it out.  Suppose I have
a directory filled with time solutions (from OpenFOAM), e.g.:

MyRun_1.vtk
MyRun_2.vtk
MyRun_3.vtk
MyRun_100.vtk

How to I get PV to recognise this as a time sequence?  In the "Open File"
dialog the list of files is folded under an entry:

MyRun_..vtk

but when I open this rather than a particular file such as MyRun_2.vtk, it
loads just the single, first MyRun_1.vtk and doesn't seem to recognise the
sequence.  What should I do?  In PV2.6 I wrote a translator for some other
cfd software that uses the VTK XML format and created a single XML
collection list, which allowed time sequences to be recognised.  I thought
there must be an existing method, however.

hoogs

Jason Hoogland
Mechanical Engineer
BMT WBM Pty Ltd