[Paraview] Gradient calculations

Barry Wolmarans beyond_the_edge at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 17:02:47 EDT 2006

Hi

The procedure I follow is:
I import the ensight case file, using litlle endian. I select the density
Array and press accept
Create a cutting plan
Import package, and select vtkCellDerivatives.xll and clik ok

Paraview loads the filter, with a grayed out eye the source panel does not
change otherwise, the "properties panel" is that of the cut I created.

Nothing happens, paraview crashes, there does not seem to be a log file.

The data type is point

the script files are below

Thanks for the help,

Barry

This is vtkCellDerivatives.pvsm

<ServerManagerConfiguration>
  <ProxyGroup name="filters">
   <SourceProxy name="CellDerivatives" class="vtkCellDerivatives">
     <InputProperty
        name="Input"
        command="SetInput">
          <ProxyGroupDomain name="groups">
            <Group name="sources"/>
            <Group name="filters"/>
          </ProxyGroupDomain>
          <DataTypeDomain name="input_type">
            <DataType value="vtkDataSet"/>
          </DataTypeDomain>
     </InputProperty>

     <IntVectorProperty
        name="VectorMode"
        command="SetVectorMode"
        number_of_elements="1"
        default_values="0" >
       <EnumerationDomain name="enum">
         <Entry value="0" text="PassVectors"/>
         <Entry value="1" text="ComputeGradient"/>
         <Entry value="2" text="ComputeVorticity"/>
       </EnumerationDomain>
     </IntVectorProperty>
   <!-- End CellDerivatives -->
   </SourceProxy>
  </ProxyGroup>
</ServerManagerConfiguration>

this is vtkCellderivatives.xml

<ModuleInterface>
  <ServerManagerFile name="vtkCellDerivatives.pvsm" />

  <Module name="CellDerivatives"
          menu_name="Cell Derivatives"
          root_name="Derivatives"
          module_type="Filter"
          long_help="Compute derivatives of scalars and vectors."
          short_help="Compute derivatives of scalars and vectors.">
    <Filter class="vtkCellDerivatives">
      <Input name="Input"
             class="vtkDataSet"/>
    </Filter>
    <InputMenu trace_name="Input" label="Input" property="Input"
               help="Set the input to this filter."
               input_name="Input"/>
    <SelectionList label="Vector Mode" property="VectorMode"
                   trace_name="VectorMode"
                   help="Control how the filter works to generate vector
cell data.
                         You can choose to pass the input cell vectors,
compute the gradient
                         of the input scalars, or extract the vorticity of
the computed
                         vector gradient tensor. By default
(VectorModeToComputeGradient),
                         the filter will take the gradient of the input
scalar data.">
      <Item name="Pass Vectors" value="0"/>
      <Item name="Compute Gradients" value="1"/>
      <Item name="Compute Vorticity" value="2"/>
    </SelectionList>
    <Documentation>
vtkCellDerivatives is a filter that computes derivatives of scalars
and vectors at the center of cells. You can choose to generate
different output including the scalar gradient (a vector), computed
tensor vorticity (a vector), gradient of input vectors (a tensor),
and strain matrix of the input vectors (a tensor); or you may
choose to pass data through to the output.

Note that it is assumed that on input scalars and vector point data
is available, which are then used to generate cell vectors and tensors.
(The interpolation functions of the cells are used to compute the
derivatives which is why point data is required.)
    </Documentation>
  </Module>
</ModuleInterface>