[Paraview] Mesa + Save View Image = black jpg?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:39:32 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 12:47 -0400, Gregory, David C CIV NSWCDL G24
wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> I've been working on getting paraview setup with Mesa and
> off-screen-rendering on a Opteron cluster.
>
> I successfully compiled with mesa and was able to get everything fired
> up with off-screen rendering.   However, when I turn compositing on, the
> rendered image becomes black and white with black squares superimposed.
> In addition, even though the image looks and behaves correctly when
> local Mesa rendering is used, saving a picture yields an all black
> frame.
>
> I then thought to eliminate the parallel issue and ran a version with
> Mesa rendering in serial - same results.   Everything looks ok in the
> gui, but a saved image is entirely black.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this issue?
>
> -David
>
> Details-
> Paraview 2.4.4
> Mesa 6.5 (from tarball)
> RHEL 4.1 x86-64
> 64 bit binaries across the board compiled with gcc 3.4

From previous conversations with Berk Geveci I've found out that
Paraview uses offscreen rendering for the save in case some window jumps
in front of the render window. There are two offscreen render methods
pbuffer and osmesa. pbuffer is supported by many OpenGL libraries osmesa
is only used if you say you have osmesa.

I also recall some messages to the list ( some mine ) about some of
this. I think some work has been done and you may find save working in
CVS.

Berk has also pointed out that you can disable the offscreen rendering
for save. He suggested :

	Try editing Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMRenderModuleProxy.cxx and
	commenting out this line (around line 1112)
	  this->GetRenderWindow()->SetOffScreenRendering(1);
	and this line:
	  this->GetRenderWindow()->SetOffScreenRendering(0);
	around line 1129.