[Paraview] Clip Hang

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Sep 18 13:20:33 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 10:46 -0600, Shead, Timothy wrote:
> I've seen this before with a VTK application - if FindPowerOfTwo() is
> called without a current OpenGL context, glGetIntegerv() fails, leaving
> its (uninitialized) arguments unmodified.

Yup, I think that's correct, I just recompiled my mesa with debug,
MESA_DEBUG in the shell, and tried my little clip thing again. Mesa
complains :

Initializing x86-64 optimizations
Mesa: Mesa 6.4.2 DEBUG build Sep 18 2006 12:52:03
Mesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: LightModelfvMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: Ligh
tModeliMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: DisableMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: Di
sableMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: DisableMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: Disa
bleMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: DisableMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: Disabl
eMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: DisableMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: DisableM
esa warning: GL User Error: called without context: DrawBufferMesa warning: GL User Error: called without context: Viewpor
tMesa w

 on and on.

>  A short-term workaround that
> was successful for me was to initialize maxDimGL to zero in
> FindPowerOfTwo() before calling glGetIntegerV(), then add some logic in
> vtkOpenGLTexture::ResampleToPowerOfTwo() to ignore the FindPowerOfTwo()
> results if they're zero.  Of course the correct long-term solution would
> be to ensure that vtkOpenGLTexture::ResampleToPowerOfTwo() only gets
> called with a current OpenGL context.

I wonder WHY I have no OpenGL context. Oh boy is this going to be fun to
track down.