[Paraview] KWWidgets and ParaView III

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Oct 18 04:15:14 EDT 2006

Berk et al, (I've cross posted this to paraview/visit and kwwidgets, but
it'll probably bounce as I'm not subscribed to kwwidgets and I think the
visit users list was inactive last time I tried...)
> We will reimplement those two widgets in Qt. Actually, let me
> rephrase: we will implement however much we use in ParaView 2 in
> ParaView 3. I am guessing that we are only using a subset of the
> functionality they provide.
I'd just like to note that the GUI widgets for volume rendering in Visit
are extremely nice. I have successfully <cough> "lifted" the Gaussian
editor control (part of the opacity transfer function editor) from visit
to use in my own Qt application - it was a Qt3->Qt4 change plus some
tweaks to remove dependencies. The entire volume rendering widget would
be a lot more work, but in my opinion well worth it - because it is very
good. I am willing to volunteer to port the entire volume property
control set from visit since I need it anyway.
Note that the visit license was recently changed to remove any
commercial usage restrictions and I believe is compatible with paraview now.

If it is possible to make the widgets shareable between visit/paraview
it'd be very useful. However since visit is qt3 and paraview qt4 this
might mean an excessive amount of #ifdefs etc. I mentioned this to one
of the visit people a little while ago and they said that sharing had
been "discussed" at some point, but no action had been taken.

Can anyone provide more information?

JB