[Paraview] Re: ParaView and Ensight - why think like that?

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Fri Nov 10 12:34:06 EST 2006

On 10 Nov 2006, at 19:00, paraview-request at paraview.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:55:18 -0300
> From: "Renato N. Elias" <rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br>
> Subject: [Paraview] ParaView and Ensight
> To: <paraview at paraview.org>
>

> Hi people,
>
> I think ParaView has been annoying some CEI's guys out there
>
> http://www.cfd-online.com/Forum/main.cgi?read=49375
>
> Look at this:
> "...ParaView has been developed at a great expense to US taxpayers
> at DOD
> and DOE labs, then is given away freely to anyone on the planet. If
> you pay
> taxes in the US, I am sure that you find this as disagreeable as do
> we...(Kent Misegades President, CEI Inc.)"
>
> This is the worst argument I've ever seen... how disgusting... :-(
>
> Renato.
>
> p.s.: this message is not to inflame anyone. It's just to show how
> dirty
> someone can be to recover his "mine of gold", which has been
> vanishing...

It baffles me that people are still trying to sell software for big
dollars, when open source
stuff is always going to be right on their heels and free.

Surely it is obvious that the modern way to run a software business
for non turnkey applications
(ie not games, and some industrial applications)
is to sell books/detailed docs/install CDs, Tshirts etc,
  and most importantly sell knowledge and experience in the form of
consultation.
Open source software like VTK is great,
but even better is talking to someone who knows it inside out.

I'd rather our lab paid 10000 dollars for a couple of months of
expert input in to software development
than buy a single license for proprietary software that only does
half the stuff you want.

The old business model is dead, because of how easy it now is for any
kid with a computer
and some programming skills to knock out pretty good functional GUI
software in a couple of months,
with the help of existing open source tools like python and VTK.

I dont know why these companies dont just go open source and help
themselves and everyone else.

Same things are happening in the biomedical imaging field.
A few companies are trying to squeeze big cash out of publicly funded
research labs
for single user licenses. I know they dont sell that many of them as
they are far too expensive.
Why not work together on the software development, and then use their
vast expertise in imaging,
image analysis and 3D graphics to actually go help researchers
achieve their scientific goals
as consultants and charge for that. Then the researchers really are
getting something for their money.

just my 2 cents (no pun intended)

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35