[Paraview] Ensight

Terry Jordan tejj at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:12:33 EST 2006

1) What are you animating? Single Isovalue for multiple timesteps?  Multiple
isovalues?

Single IsoValue for multiple timesteps.

2) What data type are you using?  Native VTK, Native Ensight, or a 3rd
party.  Each of the first two give a somewhat unfair advantage to one
product, if you're going for a truly even comparison.

3rd party cfd data.  We have written readers for paraview and ensight for
this data.

3) What data format are you using? Structured, unstructured?  2d, 3d?
For ensight it is structured, and in paraview we are using unstructured.

4) What pipeline/viz tools are you using?
I'm not sure what you are asking here.  But I will guess you mean vtk
pipeline in paraview.
In paraview it's Reader->CellToPoint->Contour.
and in ensight it is just Reader->IsoSurface.

5) What exactly are you counting time for?  Data load, or just computation?
I bet you're just timing the actual time to generate all the isosurfaces,
and Ensight gets a big win because it preloads all the data at once where
Paraview loads it as it goes.
We are counting the time it takes to generate all of the isosurfaces.

Another problem could be that the data is taken as a structured grid in
ensight and an unstructured grid in paraview.

On 3/21/06, Terry Jordan <tejj at hotmail.com> wrote:

 > We are running some test of the performance of ensight versus
 > paraview.  In
 > the test we use the same data set and create an iso surface
 > (contour).  Then
 > we animate the transient data set.  We are seeing about 1 order of
 > magnitude
 > increase in performance over paraview (about 2.5 mins to 29 mins).  Does
 > anyone know if ensight is doing something to speed up the performance
such
 > as decimation or are their algorithms that much faster?
 >
 > Thanks in advance.

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist,
ERDC-MSRC Vicksburg, MS