[Paraview] How to compile with MPI support?

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Fri Mar 10 13:45:38 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 13:28 -0500, Amy Squillacote wrote:
> At 01:17 PM 3/10/2006, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> >On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 10:55 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > > Is there any documentation on how to compile with MPI support?  Haven't
> > > found it yet....
> > >

> >I've never found it either, but I've been slowly learning, and it's come
> >up on the list a few times it amounts to :
> >
> >mkdir paraview_build_dir
> >cd paraview_build_dir
> >export CC=mpicc
> >export CXX=mpiCC
> >ccmake paraview_SOURCE_dir
> >

> Alternatively, turn on VTK_USE_MPI in CMake.  (It's an advanced
> variable.)  Reconfigure.  If CMake can't find MPI on your system,
> you'll need to specify where the MPI library and the include path for
> MPI are on your system.  Once CMake knows where those are, run
> Generate again from within CMake.  Then rebuild.
>
> - Amy

Oh yeah VTK_USE_MPI is sort of important.

I've had trouble if I do not set CC and CXX prior to running cmake.  On
our clusters cmake finds gcc and mpicc is a wrapper around icc and is in
some /usr/local/mpich... path.  The paths included and the libraries
linked by mpicc baffle me so I wouldn't want to enter them in cmake.

I suppose if MPI were in some standard location it would be much easier
to compile.