[Paraview] Surface vector - Linear Integral Convolution

Simone Crippa crippa at kth.se
Mon Mar 6 02:58:09 EST 2006

Hello,

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 13:10 -0500, Berk Geveci wrote:
> LIC has been implemented for VTK (by Jean Favre). I am ashamed to
> admit that  I still have not added it to VTK. However, this algorithm
> works only on flat surfaces. Would this be enough?

I came across Jean's filter last week and already compiled it.
After also recompiling Paraview 2.4.2 (shared libs!), PVLEA works fine
with the sample vf.xx.vti files.

Had to play around a bit with the settings, but now I get it working as
I want it!

As Berk says, the filter can only handle 2d, planar surfaces, but I have
3D RANS, Ensight datasets that I would like to unleash LIC on! Even if I
make a cut plane, the LEA filter is grayed out. I think it should be due
to the unstructured mesh of the cut.

What I'd need is the possibility to visualize surface-bound vectors
(skin friction coefficient in 3 directions) ... obviously on non-planar
surfaces! It seems that it's not possible right now. Does somebody
(Jean?) have thought of generalizing the filter?

Thanks, Simone