[Paraview] Cannot Read Binary Unstr Legacy VTK with 2.4.2

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Wed Mar 1 11:54:40 EST 2006

The problem:
> ParaView 2.4.2 crashes when it reads a file using the VTK legacy binary
> format for an unstructured grid.
> ... Pentium 4 system using gcc 4.0.2 and Redhat Fedora Core 4.

The cause:
VTK is flipping the order of the bytes of the binary data.

I added print statements in the VTK code right after the vertices and cell
connections were read. They are fine at that point. But VTK goes on to uses
routines like vtkByteSwap::Swap4BERange. Additional print statements show
that the data is then wrong.

Why is this swapping going on? Its a waste of time and turns good data into
bad. Is there a way to turn it off?

Thanks!
Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center