[Paraview] Bandwidth Concerns about Client/Server Mode

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:53:06 EST 2006

So I finally got paraview running in a fully distributed Data Server/Render
Server/Client mode through some XML & Command Line Trickery (Never could get
the "client-host" and "reverse-connection" options working in the XML, had
to put those on the command line).

What i've noticed is that it consumes ALOT of bandwidth.  Just starting
paraview up, with no data loaded or anything, seems to saturate my 2MB link
at home for a good 30 seconds or more.  What's being transmitted here at the
beginning, and is there any way to slim it down or speed it up?

Also, I'm only getting about 1 frame every 5-10seconds on moderate datasets
that I can easily visualize locally at 30+fps.  I'm not looking to reach
30fps, but I had hoped to hit at least 1fps.

--
Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist,