[Paraview] ParaViews vtkCommonPython is not the sam as in VTK

Milan Frank milan.frank at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 05:49:23 EDT 2006

Hi Utkarsh,

honestly, my biggest problem is the size and complexity of the
ParaViews CMake scripts. They are also modified very often by other
developers. To maintain my separate branch consists of time consuming
and error-susceptible merging. That is why I have used my
minimalistic, unclear solution (to employ VTKs vtkXxxPython.dll
instead of the ParaViews vtkCommonPython.dll).

What I have done ... First of all, I built VTK separately (directly
from the ParaView source code tree). Than I manually copied created
python wrappers (vtkXxxPython.lib and vtkXxxPython.dll) into paraviews
"bin" build directory.

After that, I simply commented out the "KIT Common" part (Line: 153 to
EOF) in the ParaView\Utilities\VTKPythonWrapping\CMakeLists.txt file.
I suppose, this is responsible for the creation of the
vtkCommonPython.lib/.dll. So, the manually copied one is not
rewritten.

Next step is the modification of
ParaView\Servers\ServerManager\CMakeLists.txt. I have added
vtkIOPython and vtkRenderingPython to KIT_PYTHON_LIBS (Line 157). This
tells linker where to find some additional functions.

This solution worked until recently. I had been able to use ParaView
classes together with all VTK classes.

Now I'm receiving exception:
vtkProcessModuleConnectionManager: Invalid connection ID: 4

When I debug, it seems there is no Interactor created inside
SMRenderModuleProxy ...

I suspect, it is some compilation related mess caused by my unclear
"solution". If so, you'll probably be unable to give me any help with
that.

Just a quick question, is there any special reason to have some "light
weight" version of VTK Python wrapper especially for ParaView, instead
of "full featured" VTK Python wrappers?

I'm thinking now, to simply add some extra modules to the ParaViews
vtkCommonPython could be the right solution for me ...

Thanks,
Milan.

On 8/3/06, Utkarsh Ayachit <utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi Milan,
>
> Can you please elaborate what was your "previous solution" and what are
> the difficulties that you facing due to the new changes? If I remember
> correctly, the only thing that changed was adding of a bunch of more
> classes to vtkCommonPython (apart from "paraview") python module.
>
> Utkarsh.
>
> Milan Frank wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm working with ParaView Python interface. I can see that quite a lot
> > of changes has been made recently in this area. Because of this, I'm
> > in serious troubles now.
> >
> > Due to wxPython cooperation I was in need to employ full scale vtk
> > python wrappers instead of the minimized ParaView version called
> > vtkCommonPython.
> >
> > After the latest CVS update I'm unable to re-do my previous solution ...
> >
> > Could anyone suggest some way how to get rid of the ParaViews
> > vtkCommonPython and use these VTKs Python libraries?
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Milan

Ing. Milan Frank
FIRST Numerics Ltd