[Paraview] Server Manager and Python interface

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue Aug 1 10:09:52 EDT 2006

Hi Milan,

> I'm trying to use the python interface of ParaViews Server Manager. It
> seems to me as not actually intensively used way to access Server
> Manager functionality. I'm I right?
That's true as far as the current state goes. However, in ParaView3, one
of our objectives is to provide a full-fledged Python client that can be
used to control/access the server manager.

> Recently I used the vtkSMDoubleRangeDomain class. IMO, I was the first
> person who ever used this class that way. Two essential methods
> (GetMaximum, GetMinimum) contains a reference parameter. So, they are
> skipped by automated Python wrapper and thus, they are inaccessible
> from python. The trivial solution is to add my own new methods without
> reference parameters. Unfortunately, it means I have to go to Server
> Manager source code to be able to use it properly in Python ...
You are correct, such cases need to caught and fixed so that the server
manager API becomes more python friendly.

> I'd like to ask. What are the Kitwares plans with this interface? Is
> there going to be some special testing/development effort in near
> feature? Is there anyone else using this interface?
Like I mentioned earlier, we plan to make this a usuable, fully
functional client, hence we expect more and more people will be
actively using this interface.

> I have had another difficulty concerning animation system. If there is
> an observer registered with vtkSMAnimationSceneProxy on
> "AnimationCueTickEvent" then I can not see any easy way how to get
> current animation time in Python.
AnimationCue has been fixed on the CVS head. vtkSMAnimationCue now has
API to get the AnimationTime and DeltaTime (information provided via
the AnimationInfo struct in the event handler). Same is true with the
vtkSMAnimationCueProxy. I am also attaching a patch for the changes.

Utkarsh.