[ANAG] [anag-cvs] [chombousers] Re: [Paraview] CHOMBO file converter for PARAVIEW

Burlen burlen at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Tue Apr 25 15:36:16 EDT 2006

Despite the new classes included with VTK my converter may be of use in the
short term. here is why:

In the process of developing my converter I encountered a number of instances
where VTK's defaults applied to multiresolution data produce erroneous
visualizations. One of the issues behind this is that often CHOMBO data is
cell centered data while many useful VTK algorithms such as contouring
require node centered data. While this can easily be created by using the
CellToPointData filter, if left to VTK's defaults the contouring and color
mapping routines produce erroneous results. In the color maps the boundaries
between different Levels(and even between boxes depending on how the data is
created) are clearly visible. for instance see:
http://quaoar.sr.unh.edu/images/boxes_problem.png
In the case of the contours, VTK's algorithm generates contours that don't
connect across Levels(and in some case boxes, again depending on how the
dataset is created). for instance see:
http://quaoar.sr.unh.edu/images/contours_not_closed.png

In the process of developing my converter I did a case study on these issues
and developed solutions that solve the problems. I found that the choice of
cell type and how the point data(required for certain visualizations) are
created, are the main issues to address. Out of all the VTK cell types
triangles, and tetra are the least prone to visualization errors, and that
the best case is to use the cell centers them selves as the point set to
triangulate/tetrahedralize. Any other choice for a set of points would
require interpolation of the CHOMBO data and introduce error. Please see the
slide illustrating these issues:
http://quaoar.sr.unh.edu/chhdf52FlatVtk/amr_vis_cell_types.png

The chhdf52FlatVtk converter addresses these issues, by using VTK_TRIANGLE
cell type in 2d and VTK_TETRA in 3d  generated from point data introduced at
the CHOMBO cell centers. for example see:
http://quaoar.sr.unh.edu/chhdf52FlatVtk/resolved_issues.png

So the question that comes to mind is how do the new VTK classes handle these
issues? From a preliminary test using the Hierarchical Fractal Source
included with PARAVIEW I'm not convinced that they do. As a result there may
still much work to be done on these before they can be used in some specific
visualizations, such as iso surface & contours. The following slide was
created using the Hierarchical Fractal source included with PARAVIEW. It
shows that VTK uses a naive choice of cell types when constructing the
hierarchical data, which leads to contour algorithm breaking and the color
mapping issues described above. In addition in order to generate the point
set required for these visualizations the CellToPointData filter is used
introducing interpolation error.
http://quaoar.sr.unh.edu/chhdf52FlatVtk/hierarch_data_issues.png

I have not done an in depth study of the new classes, and only tested them
using my current installation of paraview (2.2 release 1) so I cannot say
weather these issues have been addressed yet.

Burlen