[ANAG] [anag-cvs] [chombousers] Re: [Paraview] CHOMBO file converter for PARAVIEW

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 15:21:48 EDT 2006

> Your poster does look interesting.  Last year we had some correspondence
> with the Kitware team about making a native VTK data type for AMR data.
> We provided some guidance, but it would appear that they built more than
> I had thought.  I would assume that the hierarchal AMR data type is still
> at a pre-release stage ?

It is not pre-release anymore. It is being used for production. It is
still maturing however. There will be more improvements in the next
year or two. Including native, fast volume rendering of AMR datasets.

> Is Paraview extending VTK is a significant fashion
> to enable the parallel AMR visualization ?

Yes and no :-) Almost all of the AMR support is in VTK. However,
ParaView is the only application that is using it so far.

> Chombovis has seems similar to your poster, except based on regular VTK and
> TK widgets (spreadsheets, out-of-core data inquiry, isosurfaces,
> streamlines,
> volume rendering).  There are also probably features that our tools have
> that
> do not overlap.  We built Chombovis without any native AMR support in VTK.

I would say that Chombovis has some AMR support we have not reproduced
yet. The biggest being support of edge or face centered data.

-Berk