[Paraview] Help! Paraview keeps crashing out with X Error on Mac Powerbook G4

Joe Koski jkoski11 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 20 12:08:53 EDT 2006

on 4/20/06 2:41 AM, Andreas Bollermann at andreas.bollermann at rwth-aachen.de
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on my Powerbook G4, OS X 10.4.6, the binaries from the website work, but
> the last version is very unstable. Anyone still having 2.4.2 binaries?
>
> The recent stable code doesn't compile on my machine, the CVS code
> builds, but last time I tried it crashed shortly after startup.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Andreas,

I have not had any problems with paraview-2.4.3 on my G5 with OS X 10.3.9.
Currently, there are also reported build problems for PowerPC Macs with OS X
10.4.6 with the open source products octave and R. Apparently, the same
builds work without problems on the new Intel Macs with 10.4.6. I monitor
the Apple scitech list, and, while the problems are being reported, there is
no word from Apple about the existence of the problem or if it will be fixed
soon. I suspect that they are swamped supporting the new Intel platform.

Maybe we should ask for the paraview website to add the the 2.4.2 version
until the problem is cleared.

Joe

> Mike Jackson schrieb:
>>    Yep, I have the same problem. I am running OS X 10.4.6 Intel and OS X
>> 10.4.6 PPC. Both crash out of X in about that same spot. I at least used
>> to be able to run the binaries from Paraview.org, but not any more.
>>    Trying to build on OS X 10.4.x will not work either. It will
>> successfully compile, but not work. I tried compiling with GCC 4 and GCC
>> 3. I tried running PPC binaries on Intel hardware hoping that Rosetta
>> would kick in.. Nothing I have tried works.
>>    The only know working solution is Paraview 2.2.1 running on OS X
>> 10.3.9. That was the last time I had anything working on Mac Hardware.
>>
>> Good luck.
>> Mike Jackson
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2006, at 1:55 PM, J. Kim Welford wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My problem is similar to one posted last month in the archives but I
>>> can't work out how they came to a solution.
>>>
>>> After "apparently" managing to successfully compile the code, I ran it
>>> and was temporarily pleased to see Paraview's colourful opening screen
>>> only to have it crash out with the following message:
>>>
>>> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
>>> for operation)
>>>   Major opcode of failed request:  150 (GLX)
>>>   Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
>>>   Value in failed request:  0x22
>>>   Serial number of failed request:  1122
>>>   Current serial number in output stream:  1123
>>>
>>> The same thing occurred when I downloaded and ran the Mac binaries.
>>> I've been running everything from an x-terminal and my /usr/X11R6/lib
>>> directory contains all the libGL and libGLU libraries so I have no
>>> idea what it's complaining about.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else come across this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks!