[Paraview] mpirun of paraview

Sean Ziegeler, Contractor seanzig.ctr at navo.hpc.mil
Tue Apr 18 14:22:43 EDT 2006

> I tried to run paraview which was compiled with mpich. I noticed that
> cpu usage on paraview data servers (pvserver) is always around 99%
> even though no data processing at all. Only the first pvdataserver's
> cpu usage was reasonable(where I started the mpirun command).
>
> Why did that happen? Does that mean paraview is not working properly
> on all paraivew data servers.

That might be an MPI issue.  We use MVAPICH (a derivative of MPICH) and
it also seems to peg-out the processors for all but the first process.
This happens with any MPI run, not just Paraview.  I am guessing MPI is
doing some sort of spin-wait on those processes.

Anyway, to see if it truly is MPICH, you can try running some other MPI
program that can idle for a certain amount of time and see if those
processes behave similarly.

-Sean