[Paraview] Compiling on OS X

Mike Jackson maillist at bluequartz.net
Fri Nov 18 10:20:37 EST 2005

I am running OS X version 10.4.3 and have followed the instructions
on the wiki to try an compile paraview version 2.2.1 and the latest
beta 2.4. Neither will compile and fail very quickly during the
compile. Doing some digging it would seem that the Tcl/Tk build
script is being copied with DOS line endings instead of Unix line
endings which is going to mess things up. Has anyone seen anything
like this before? I can not figure out if it is something with my
install, my user directory, my .bash_profile or my OS X install in
general?

Here is the build output.

238:[mjackson at Aeryn:~/Desktop/pbuild]$ make
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Users/mjackson/Desktop/pbuild/Utilities/TclTk: building default_target
cmake.depends is up-to-date
Building Utility maketcltk...
: command not foundktop/pbuild/Utilities/TclTk/build_tcltk.sh: line 2:
/Users/mjackson/Desktop/pbuild/Utilities/TclTk/build_tcltk.sh: line
31: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make[3]: *** [maketcltk] Error 2
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Utilities_TclTk] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2
239:[mjackson at Aeryn:~/Desktop/pbuild]$

If I look at the file build_tcltk.sh in bbedit it is indicating that
the line breaks are in DOS and not UNIX. If I change the line endings
to UNIX I then get the following:

246:[mjackson at Aeryn:~/Desktop/pbuild]$ make
make  cmake.depends
make[1]: `cmake.depends' is up to date.
make  cmake.check_depends
make[1]: `cmake.check_depends' is up to date.
make  -f cmake.check_depends
cmake.depends is up-to-date
make  all
/Users/mjackson/Desktop/pbuild/Utilities/TclTk: building default_target
make  cmake.depends
make[3]: `cmake.depends' is up to date.
make  cmake.check_depends
make[3]: `cmake.check_depends' is up to date.
make  -f cmake.check_depends
cmake.depends is up-to-date
make  all
Building Utility maketcltk...
/bin/sh /Users/mjackson/Desktop/pbuild/Utilities/TclTk/build_tcltk.sh
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[3]: *** [maketcltk] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Utilities_TclTk] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

Thanks for any help/input/Pointers
---
Mike Jackson