[Paraview] Filters

Renteria, Jose (Cont, ARL/CISD) JRenteria at arl.army.mil
Thu Mar 31 15:46:36 EST 2005

Let me elaborate on my previous question. I am trying to create a new
Paraview Filter that is a combination of two filters, a cut
(vtkCutter) and pick filter (vtkPickFilter). My goal is a cutplane
filter that creates a cutplane by selecting (picking) three points.
Here are two questions:

1. If I use xml modules to create a ParaView filter module using
vtkPickfilter, then I can add any xml widget to the client-side. For
example I can add the following:

<!-- add widget for cutplane  menu  -->
<SelectWidget label="Cut Function"
    trace_name="Cut Function"
    property="CutFunction">
    <Item label="Plane"
          value="Plane">
          <ImplicitPlaneWidget
               trace_name="Plane"
               use_label="0"
               input_menu="im1"
               help="Adjusts the parameters of the plane to cut with."/>
    </Item>
</SelectWidget>

<!-- add widget for picking  -->
<SelectWidget
    label="Point Selection"
    trace_name="PickMethod"
    property="UseIdToPick">
    <!-- add point widget -->
    <Item label="World Point"
          value="0">
          <PointWidget
	       trace_name="Point"
               variable="WorldPoint"
               help="Pick closest point."/>
    </Item>
</SelectWidget>

However on the server-side, I can only access the routines that are
define in vtkPickfilter, like AddInput. I want access to vtkCutter
routines as well, like SetInput.  Any pointers on how this is done?

2. I created a new class vtkPV3PointCut that inherits PVSource in
/Gui/Client directory of ParaView source tree. Since I can only use
one filter in the client Filters.xml and server filters.xml modules, I
used vtkPickfilter and follow the vtkPVPick implementation.  I then
declare an instance of vtkCutter and attempt to initialize it in
vtkPV3PointCut. However, I am not sure how to get the the Input from
the vtkPickfilter used in the xml modules to initialize the vtkCutter
in the C++ code.  Any pointers on how this is done?

Any suggestions?

Jose

I am trying to create a new Paraview Filter that is a combination of
two filters, a cut (vtkCutter) and pick filter (vtkPickFilter).  My
goal is a cutplane filter that creates a cutplane by selecting
(picking) three points.

I can create each filter independently, however joining them has been a
problem.  Say I create a cutplane filter, how do I get the inputs from
the cutplane filter to initialize the pick filter or vise versa?

Thanks,

Jose