[Paraview] paraview and vtk

don fisher dfisher at as.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 1 12:51:38 EST 2005

Brad,

When a separate VTK is built and installed, do you know whether there
is an overlap of files in the lib and include directories? It appeared
that there might be (even though there was a VTK subdir in lib) but I
did not have time to verify all of the load times.

don

Brad King wrote:
> Weiguang Guan wrote:
>
>> I'm new to paraview. Just wonder why paraview keeps its own copy of
>> vtk.  If I download/install vtk, and want to link with the separately
>> installed vtk rather than the one that comes with paraview, is there a
>> switch in cmake (paraview's CMakeLists.txt) that allow me to do this?
>

> ParaView used to support an external VTK but it requires VTK to be built
> with a specific set of options.  It also requires a matching version of
> VTK (down to the second in CVS time).  We had too many problems with
> users not having matching versios of VTK or building it with conflicting
> options or compilers.  The solution is to include VTK with ParaView to
> make it all do the right thing automatically.  It turns out that only a
> minimal part of VTK needs to be built and that ParaView's VTK wouldn't
> be that useful as a stand-alone VTK anyway.
>
> -Brad

|    Don Fisher				  dfisher at as.arizona.edu  |
|    Steward Observatory		  			  |
|    933 N. Cherry Ave.    		  VOICE: (520)888-7613	  |
|    University of Arizona		                          |
|    Tucson, AZ  85721                				  |