[Paraview] Distributed file format

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Mon Jun 13 14:23:03 EDT 2005

Hi all,

does anybody could give me any suggestion about which file format is more
suitable for distributed computations?

I've been running CFD computations based on message passing parallelism
where the unstructured mesh is previously partitioned by Metis library and
locally reordered according to each partition. Thus, after this procedure I
have n partitions with nodes and elements numbered from 1 up to k entities
(nodes and elements). Actually, I've been joining my n result files with a
posprocessor program to recover my "global mesh" in an Ensight file format
but I really like to avoid this step and produce the result files for each
partition directly.

I have the Paraview's Guide and I've already tried to understand the VTK's
file formats,  but unfortunately, they are too hard to use when you are
programming with Fortran.

I think that although Paraview is focused on parallelism there is a lack of
information about the file formats are more suitable for it yet.

Thanks a lot for any discussion about this issue

Renato N. Elias
http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias