[Paraview] Problems running ParaView in parallel under IRIX: MPI_COMM_WORLD rank 0 has terminated without calling MPI_Finalize()

Gage, Kenneth gagekl at upmc.edu
Fri Jun 10 16:13:49 EDT 2005

Hello ParaView List -

I had what appears to be a successful parallel 64-bit build with the latest CVS ParaView using HDF5 v1.6.1.  Unfortunately I can't get paraview to run; I call the executable in the following manner -

mpirun -v -np 2 /opt/bin/paraview

This generates the following error:
MPI: libxmpi.so 'SGI MPI 4.4 MPT 1.9  11/11/03 01:10:38'
MPI: libmpi.so  'SGI MPI 4.4 MPT 1.9  11/11/03 01:10:29      (64_M4)'
MPI: MPI_MSGS_MAX = 524288
MPI: MPI_BUFS_PER_PROC= 32
MPI: MPI_COMM_WORLD rank 0 has terminated without calling MPI_Finalize()
MPI: aborting job
MPI: Received signal 11

DDD reports that ParaView is generating the signal 11 but it doesn't provide details that I can see.

I have a couple of newbie questions so please bear with me -

Im attempting to run ParaView in 64bit mode and take advantage of both processors on our workstation. I assumed that I would need to compile with 64bit libs and MPI to do this on our SGI box; Am I doing this in the proper manner or am I wrong about this? Does paraview utilize multiple processors on an SMP machine without MPI?

I specify libmpi++.so and libmpi.so for linking into ParaView. The above error shows libxmpi.so is being called - Do I also need to link in this library?

Your advice and suggestions would be very welcome - Im quite lost.  All the best.
Ken