[Paraview] AMR reader - more questions

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:50:01 EDT 2005

On 6/9/05, Randy Hudson <hudson at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I'm trying to determine, by looking at vtkTestHierarchicalDataReader, how I'll load multiple scalars (or vectors for that matter) into the AMR structure.  I see that each image dataset read by the vtkXMLImageDataReader in vtkTestHierarchicalDataReader::RequestData() is passed to vtkHierarchicalBoxDataSet::SetDataSet().
>
> My data is an octree of what are called "blocks", which are regular grids.  I expect I will have to either
>
> o  load all the scalars from a block into its vtkUniformGrid, and then pass that once to SetDataSet(), or
>
> o  load one scalar, pass the vtkUniformGrid to SetDataSet(), then somehow load the rest of the scalars into that vtkUniformGrid, which has already been made part of the vtkHierarchicalBoxDataSet.
>

> 1)  Which of those two, if any, sounds right?

Although both would work, I have always used the first one.

> 2)  Are the vtkUniformGrid's you define for vtkTestHierarchicalDataReader all leaves, or are some of them parents of others?

Parents and leaves are both there. For regions of parents that are
refined, you still have to provide storage for data. This data can be
invalid however.
Another possibility is to break the parents into blocks in such a way
that all the data is valid. ChomboVis uses this approach. Both are
supported.

-Berk