[Paraview] successful external build of HDF5 libs on IRIX

Gage, Kenneth gagekl at upmc.edu
Wed Jun 8 19:26:29 EDT 2005

Hello ParaView List -

I've been having some problems building ParaView on IRIX6.5 that are related to the building of the HDF5 libraries.  Following the advice of Berk Geveci, I downloaded and built the HDF5 libraries separately.  I had some issues during the build that the kind folks at NCSA helped me with and I wanted to forward this on to the ParaView list.

I appear to have a successful out-of-source build (build dir is /usr/local/hdf5-sgi) using the following commands (using bash shell);

>RUNPARALLEL="mpirun -np 2"
>export RUNPARALLEL
>LIBS="-lmpi"
>export LIBS
>MAKE=gmake CC='cc -64 -LANG:std' CFLAGS='-woff 1035' LD='cc -64' ../hdf5/configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-parallel
>gmake
>gmake check
>gmake install

Points of note for the newbies among us -
You want to use gmake if you are performing an out-of-source build as it handles the path resolution properly.
If you received errors while running "gmake check" during the MPI tests, make sure that your array services are running.  If they aren't, use "chkconfig array on" to turn them on.

All tests performed during the "gmake check" were passed.

All the best -
Ken