[Paraview] requesting general advice on building ParaView for IRIX64

Gage, Kenneth gagekl at upmc.edu
Sat Jun 4 15:23:54 EDT 2005

Hello ParaView List -

I've been trying to build an MPI-enabled, 64-bit version of ParaView for the last few days on our SGI but it keeps terminating during the build of HDF5 with a complaint of missing libraries. I suspect that there are a number of SGI builds out there and was wondering what changes or configurations were needed to get ParaView to compile properly.

Can you use the IRIX CMake binaries available on the cmake.org site or must you build cmake from scratch for an appropriate compile?
Are there any special flags in addition to '-64 -LANG:std' that you use for the compilers?
Are there any special flags in addition to '-64' that you use for the linkers?
Do you use the ParaView HDF5 or one already built / installed on your system?

My particular problem is in compiling the HDF5 libraries - this problem occurs on both the stable release (2.0.2) and the latest CVS sources. We have a standard install of IRIX 6.5.26m with the 7.4.2m MipsPro compilers so I don't believe any critical libs are missing - based on reading the SGI freeware build tips I think some of the libs (libdl.so, libsocket.so) are being called for inclusion in hdf5 when there aren't needed (and IRIX doesn't provide them - at least not in the requested form). This is basically a newbie suspicion, so before I start learning / reading / digging through cmake files and makefiles to test it I thought I should ask what others had experienced - I take the "DO NOT HAND EDIT" warnings seriously :)

Thanks in advance for your guidance. BTW, for those who sent advice on building ParaView on the Opteron in response to my previous post, please accept my thanks - I haven't reported success (or failure) yet because we needed some extra hardware that won't arrive until Monday.

Best regards -
Ken