[Paraview] Writing binary files: C/Fortran interface to VTK XML files.

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jun 3 09:16:39 EDT 2005

Hi Sam,

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>    Brad, could you confirm you'll have something commited in VTK within the next few days ?

I've re-written the C interface to support multiple simultaneous writer
instances and all 5 standard vtkDataObject types.  There is also a
fortran interfaace wrapping the C interface, and I've successfully
written a small .vtu file from a Fortran program.  I plan to commit the
new C interface into VTK/IO on Monday as part of the vtkIO kit.  A C
program will be able to include "vtkXMLWriterC.h" and link to the
standard vtkIO library.

I'm not sure what to do with the fortran interface file, though.  It is
a .c file that has some macros at the top to configure it for a
particular fortran compiler.  The most flexible thing to do is
distribute this .c file with VTK in soruce form and let fortran
programmers include it in their build with a few -D options to the C
compiler to tell it what the fortran compiler expects.  The drawback is
that the fortran programmer will need a C compiler to build the small
interface to VTK.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
-Brad