[Paraview] Problem with remote display (Exceed)

Bernhard Gschaider Bernhard.Gschaider at unileoben.ac.at
Thu Feb 24 08:01:55 EST 2005

Hi Julien!

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm afraid it doesn't solve my problem: I didn't say it in my original
mail, but GLX was already enabled (I have Exceed3D installed; checking
with xdpyinfo says that GLX is working)[1]. In fact, other applications
that use GLX work fine.

At least now I know, that previous versions of Exceed worked with
ParaView.

regards
Bernhard

    AJA> Hi Bernhard, I have had a similar problem. The solution is to
    AJA> enable GLX support in Exceed.

    AJA> You need "Exceed 3D" (I think there are "3D" and "non-3D"
    AJA> version of Exceed) : - right-click on Exceed taskbar button -
    AJA> Select "Tools..." > "Configure..."  - then select
    AJA> "Protocols..." (the handshake icon) - then click on the
    AJA> button "Extensions..."  - Check both "GLX" checkboxes - OK ->
    AJA> OK -> OK - open your remote session and try

    AJA> I am using Exceed 3D 7.1, so the menu entries might be a bit
    AJA> different

    AJA> Regards,

    AJA> -- Julien

    AJA> -----Message d'origine----- De : Bernhard Gschaider
    AJA> [mailto:Bernhard.Gschaider at unileoben.ac.at] Envoyé : jeudi 24
    AJA> février 2005 10:21 À : paraview at paraview.org Objet :
    AJA> [Paraview] Problem with remote display (Exceed)

    AJA> I'm trying to run ParaView 1.8.5[1] on a Linux-machine.  When
    AJA> I start ParaView locally at the machine it works, but when I
    AJA> start it over the Network (the DISPLAY is my Windows-machine
    AJA> with Exceed 9.0) the Splash-Screen appears and then ParaView
    AJA> stops. The only message in the Terminal is

    AJA> [bgschaid at gcdw89 ~]$ paraview X Error of failed request:
    AJA> BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) Major
    AJA> opcode of failed request: 139 (GLX) Minor opcode of failed
    AJA> request: 21 () Serial number of failed request: 1086 Current
    AJA> serial number in output stream: 1086 [bgschaid at gcdw89 ~]$

    AJA> I'm using the precompiled binaries.

    AJA> Obviously there seems to be problem with
    AJA> OpenGL-Acceleration. I tried the --use-software-rendering
    AJA> switch, but this doesn't make any difference.

    AJA> Is there a chance, that I can make this problem go away by
    AJA> recompiling ParaView? Or is there any other way to fix this?

    AJA> Footnotes: [1] The same thing happened with older versions
    AJA> too.

Footnotes:
[1]  If GLX is disabled ParaView gives a different error message:
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display

DI Bernhard F.W. Gschaider
Christian-Doppler-Labor f. Rechnergestützte Angewandte Thermofluiddynamik
Montanuniversität Leoben
Christian-Doppler-Laboratory f. Applied Computational Thermofluiddynamics
University of Leoben, Austria
EMail: 	Bernhard.Gschaider at unileoben.ac.at
WWW  : www.cdlact.unileoben.ac.at
Tel:	+43(3842)402-8205	Fax:	+43(3842)402-8202