[Paraview] Composite Datasets

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Feb 7 08:13:23 EST 2005

I notice that when extract Parts is run on a certain file reader, I get
7 objects out, each of these objects are a dataset in their own right,
but they are stored in a composite dataset object.

When I pass this object to a filter, Paraview, (rather conveniently)
extracts each of the individual parts and passes them to the filter,
which spits out a result, the sum of which are then (rather
conveniently) reassembled into a new composite dataset.

I'd like to be able to do the same procedure as above, but have the
filter "know" of the other 6 pieces as each of the 7 is filtered. The 7
datasets are nicely separated, but I'd like to use the ones not being
processed to produce boundary conditions (if you will) for the operation
being performed on the remaining piece.

Question:
Can I obtain the "parent" dataobject inside my filter. Is this present
in the information anywhere. Once I have the composite dataset object, I
can iterate of the children and get the info I need.

If not : Can I simply create a filter which accepts a composite dataset
as an input, and use this in the normal manner (but spawning child
filters in the same way as paraview is doing - any convenient code that
I can reuse?) : Also if not. Is there any way of adding the parent
composite dataobject to the information (some special key which states
that this is a part of X dataset...)

also : I notice that the MultiBlock dataset has been removed. Has the
functionality simply been put into the Heirarchical dataset and one can
simply assume a flat one level deep dataset contains all the same info.

thanks

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch