[Paraview] mpirun pvserver: bad X server connection.

Alex Decastro decastro at sdsc.edu
Mon Dec 19 22:25:43 EST 2005

I installed Paraview 2.2.1 with OSMesa 5.0.2 and MPICH 1.2.5.2 on RedHat
Linux.

I am trying to run pvserver in parallel using MPI.

Here is the shell script I use to run pvserver:

#!/bin/sh

export DISPLAY=0.0

$(MPI_HOME)/bin/mpirun -v -machinefile machines.

txt -np 2 $(PARAVIEW_HOME)/bin/pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

machines.txt - is a text file listing two machines.

Here is the error log:

Listen on port: 11111

Waiting for client...

connected to port 11111

Client connected.

Process id: 1 >> ERROR: In
/projects/vis/users/decastro/paraview-mpi2/paraview-2.2.1/VTK/Rendering/
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 326

vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0xb7825c0): bad X server connection.

Process id: 1 >> ERROR: In
/projects/vis/users/decastro/paraview-mpi2/paraview-2.2.1/VTK/Rendering/
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 169

vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0xb7825c0): bad X server connection.

On both machines, I logged into the console and set the environment
variable: setenv DISPLAY :0.0

Everything works fine if I use -np 1 instead of -np 2.

It is possible that security restrictions on our Linux system prevent
the two pvserver processes from communicating using X server. I cannot
run "xhost +" on our Linux system, due to our security restrictions.
Could that be related to the problem?

For example, if I use rsh to start xclock, I get the following error:

% rsh machine xclock

Error: Can't open display.

Thanks for any help,

Alex