[Paraview] Chromium and 'Unable to open display' in client-server mode

Joel Welling welling at stat.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 12 18:44:42 EST 2005

Hi folks;
  We have modified VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx so that, if the
server process cannot access the DISPLAY environment variable, it attempts
create an OpenGL context using the Chromium API.  This works very well, and
we've had wonderful success running the server rendering processes across
Chromium under ParaView up through (I believe) 2.0.1.
  In version 2.4.1 there is apparently some trap code which prevents this,
however.  I know the code at line 448 of GUI/Client/vtkPVCompositeRenderModuleU
I.cxx (rev. 1.30) is getting called, and giving its associated error message
'Unable to open display'.  The associated text says that this happens when one
of the servers cannot get a valid DISPLAY environment variable.  Of course
this message is getting displayed on the client side, and the source of the
message is somewhere on the server side.
  The servers may not be able to open the DISPLAY, but they have a perfectly
good graphics context.  Can someone direct me to the code where the server
DISPLAY is tested so that I can disable it?  I believe I've covered all the
uses of DISPLAY in vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow and I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks,
-Joel Welling
 welling at psc.edu