[Paraview] Re: [vtk-developers] Integrating new volume renderer into VTK/Paraview

Steven Callahan stevec at sci.utah.edu
Thu Dec 8 13:45:11 EST 2005

Lisa Avila wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Can you send me the code? (either point me to an ftp location or I can
> give you instructions for uploading files here) We'll look it over
> here, see what we may need to do on the OpenGL header issues (are you
> using the vtkOpenGLExtensionManager to manage the use of your
> extensions and get the function pointers?) It shouldn't be too hard to
> get this into VTK.

Yes, I am using the vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.  More specifically, my
code works if you update VTK/Utilities/ParseOGLExt/header/*.h with the
latest from the SGI website.  Thus, incorporating my code would also
require that the three OpenGL headers in this directory are up to date.

> For ParaView, we are currently using a 2 level LOD method with
> Projected Tetras being the "fast" one always, and either no second
> level, or ZSweep or the ray caster for final rendering. This would
> probably be different in that we would replace PT whenever possible
> with this new method (as long as the required extensions were
> available). We can worry about this once the class is integrated into
> VTK.

I understand that PT is being used during interaction.  What I am really
interested in is rendering datasets larger than a million tetrahedra.
In this case, the LOD seems to go into a boundary only rendering.
Instead, I would like to use my volume rendering class with the LOD
turned on, which basically samples the geometry inside and provides a
better LOD than what is currently being used (see "Interactive Rendering
of Large Unstructured Grids Using Dynamic Level-of-Detail.", Vis 2005).

Thanks.

Steve