RES: [Paraview] one global structure

Renato N. Elias rnelias at superig.com.br
Tue Apr 26 18:26:16 EDT 2005

Hello Fabian,

I think you must consider the use of Ensight's case format. I've have been
using this file format to posprocess the results of my CFD program (three
dimensional incompressible fluid flow) in Paraview and Ensight. I'm sure
that this format support multiple time steps for one or multiple geometry
data.

I've provided an example of case's file for multiple time steps below:

FORMAT
type:	ensight

GEOMETRY
model:	         cav51_2.geo

VARIABLE

scalar per node:           pressure      cav51_2_pres_0***.scl
vector per node:           velocity      cav51_2_vel_0***.vec

TIME
time set: 1
number of steps:   5
filename start number: 0
filename increment: 1
time values:
 0.00
 1.00
 2.00
 3.00
 4.00

Where: cav51_2_pres_0***.scl and cav51_2_vel_0***.vec are the names of my
result files (several files) and cav51_2.geo is my geometry file (only one).
Note the wildcard for the result files and the definition of the time steps.

For a short example of Ensight's geometry and result file (ASCII) you may
look into the files provided with the Paraview distribution (directory
\ParaView 2.0\Data\Data). If you are interested in Fortran routines to write
geometry (for tetrahedral elements) and scalar and vectorial result files in
binary format I could send my routines to you.

Regards

Renato
http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias