[Paraview] Paraview build failed 2.0.1 kwProcessXML

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Apr 22 13:49:29 EDT 2005

Terry Jordan wrote:
> ids7:/scratch/paraview-2.0.1_src/build # ldd
> /scratch/paraview-2.0.1_src/build/bin/kwProcessXML
>        libvtkCommon.so => /usr/local/vtk/lib/vtk/libvtkCommon.so
> (0x40018000)
>        libkwsys.so => /usr/local/lib/libkwsys.so (0x402a3000)

 From where did this kwsys library come?  ParaView only ever installs
libraries in PREFIX/lib/paraview-2.0.  Perhaps you ran "make install" in
an older version of ParaView before all the proper install rules were
written?

It looks like you've built both shared and static builds of ParaView in
that build tree.  Once the shared libraries are present the linker will
always favor them over the static versions.  My guess is you once built
with shared libraries and then switched back to static libraries.  This
would prevent the RPATH from ending up in the executable because CMake
thinks it is linking in static libraries.  Then the linker finds the
shared library first and adds it with no RPATH, so the dynamic linker
finds one from the system at runtime.

Did you turn on CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH in this build tree or add
/usr/local/vtk/lib/vtk to LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

I suggest you remove all traces of older VTK and ParaView versions from
/usr/local and from any environment variables.  Then create a fresh
build tree for ParaView and start again.

-Brad