[Paraview] MIPSPro 7.4.2m build failing in vtkTimerLog.cxx with va_list undefined

Gage, Kenneth gagekl at upmc.edu
Thu Apr 21 19:29:06 EDT 2005

Hello -

I'm attempting to build ParaView on an Octane2 with the MIPSPro compilers version 7.4.2m.  The build is failing in vtkTimerLog.cxx with the following errors:
--------------------------
cc-1020 CC: ERROR File = /usr/local/VTK/Common/vtkTimerLog.cxx, Line = 137
  The identifier "va_list" is undefined.

    va_list var_args;
    ^

cc-1065 CC: ERROR File = /usr/local/VTK/Common/vtkTimerLog.cxx, Line = 137
  A semicolon is expected at this point.

    va_list var_args;
            ^

cc-1020 CC: ERROR File = /usr/local/VTK/Common/vtkTimerLog.cxx, Line = 138
  The identifier "var_args" is undefined.

    va_start(var_args, format);
    ^

3 errors detected in the compilation of "/usr/local/VTK/Common/vtkTimerLog.cxx".
*** Error code 2 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

I have -LANG:std defined in the flags but otherwise have defined the MIPSPro compilers for the environment and left everything else alone. Looking through the dartboards for VTK I see what appears to be other IRIX machines running MIPSPro compiling VTK without a problem with similar configurations. Do any SGI gurus out there have any suggestions on getting VTK / ParaView running with MIPSPro?  Or should I use gcc?  I was planning to K.I.S.S. this one and add things like parallel mode, etc, when the basic setup started to work.

Your advice is both welcome and appreciated.

All the best -
Ken