RES: [Paraview] Can ParaView run in parallel on windows?

Renato N. Elias rnelias at superig.com.br
Wed Apr 20 11:06:45 EDT 2005

Yes, it´s possible

I´m not an expert in Paraview, but I´ve already tested the Client/Server
mode in a very simple configuration (1 laptop and 1 pc, both running Win2k).
For Client/Server you only have to start Paraview in this mode. I´ve done:

PC (server)
Pvserver

Laptop (client)
Paraview -c --host=[IP or name of the server]

This is the simplest case. If you have firewall you must connect the client
and server process with reverse connection, p. ex.:

Laptop (client)
Paraview -c -rc

PC (server)
Pvserver -rc --host=[IP or name of the server]

Note that in this case you must start the client process firstly.

For distributed systems you must compile Paraview with MPI support and it´s
more complicated... I´ll try to summarize some steps:

1- Install a mpi lib (I´ve been using mpich for Windows);
2- Download the Paraview source code;
3- Download Cmake;
4- Use Cmake to set up a proper workspace to Visual C++;
5- Open the workspace with Visual C++, go to build all and wait because the
compilation process may take too much time according to your system...
6- If you have luck at the finish you´ll have the Paraview ready to run in
distributed mode.

That´s it...

Regards

Renato N. Elias