[Paraview] OpenGL display

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:13:22 EDT 2005

This is not an issue. It is a feature. ParaView has a few modes of
rendering when running in parallel:

1. local on client
2. distributed
3. distributed on server
4. distributed on render server
5. distributed on tiled display
6. local (redistributed) on tiled display

These are described in more detail in the ParaView Guide. I will
describe 1 & 2 briefly:
1. geometry from all nodes is collected to the first node and rendered locally
2. all nodes render and the resulting imaging is composited using a
z-buffer based algorithm.

1. is generally faster for smaller data and 2. is faster (and more
scalable) for large data. There is a threshold value in 3D View
Settings (Composite). The decision on whether to use 1 or 2 is based
on this value.
The window you are seeing is the render window of nodes id > 0. Also,
the compositing codes grabs the frame buffer of these windows and on
most systems, this only works if the window is not obscured. So to fix
your problem, either compile paraview with offscreen rendering
(describing in the ParaVIew guide and archives of this mailing list)
or disable compositing from 3D View Settings.