[Paraview] which data format for paraview and opendx

Fabian Braennstroem f.braennstroem at gmx.de
Mon Apr 4 06:48:31 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I have some problems to decide which visualization 'toolkit'
I should use. So I want to use 'opendx' and 'paraview', and
now I am looking for the right data format for both
programs!?
Actually I was thinking about the 'hdf5'-format which looks
pretty powerfull, and both programs 'opendx' and 'paraview'
are able to read those formats.
I converted with 'h5fromtext' my 'tecplot'-data files, which are
asciii-formatted and have following structure:

x1 y1 z1 u v w
x2 y1 z1 u v w
x3 y1 z1 u v w
x1 y2 z1 u v w

I am able to open the converted 'hdf5' file, but any
visualization is not possible. Visualizing those data with a
'vts/xml' format works fine for me, but I am missing the
part where I can tell paraview the structure of these data.
Do I have to do it with a separate file?

Do you have any hints how

Maybe, you can recommend any other format for both programs?

Best Greetings!
Fabian