[Paraview] problems building 2.0.0 on gentoo linux 2.4.25and nvidia

John Lloyd jalyvr at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:01:15 EDT 2005

>From: Amy Squillacote <amy.squillacote at kitware.com>
>To: paraview at paraview.org
>Subject: Re: [Paraview] problems building 2.0.0 on gentoo linux 2.4.25and
>nvidia
>Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:50:04 -0500
>
>Hi John,
>
>For the variables you listed, if CMake is for a directory (e.g.,
>OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR), then you should provide the path to that directory.
>If it asks for a library (e.g., OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY), then it wants the full
>path and file name for the library file (e.g.,
>/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so).  This may not entirely fix your
>problem, but at least you'll be giving CMake the appropriate information.
>
>- Amy

Thanks for this.  That was a help to distinguish files from directories.

The problem was I had an old NVIDIA driver, 5336, coupled with a mix of
NVIDIA standard install vs Gentoo installations of the shared objects, .h
files, etc.  (Gentoo uses ebuilds called nvidia-kernel or nvidia-glx  while
NVIDIA runs a shell script.)

The solution was to upgrade to NVIDIA driver 6629
(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run
from the NVIDIA download site), from the existing 5336.

This solved a number of symptoms that arose:  undefined symbol
glBlendEquationSeparateNVX, API mismatch NVIDIA Kernel module vs X  module,
and the famous "Could not find a decent visual" error.

--John