[Paraview] Re: volume rendering

Dr. Daniel James White PhD dan at chalkie.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 11:32:14 EST 2005

Hi Brian,

.... not really any problems "competing" with volview are there....?

Since ,for example, MayaVi does volume rendering with VTK,
and thats free same as paraview...

I tried your tetralhedralize  workaround,
but All I get is still a solid cube the size of my dataset,
when I set the display as volume render for the output of the filter....
not the volume rendered virus I am expecting to see.....
as I do when I do volume rendering with MayaVi on the same file.

I have access to an ibm super computer here in finland and it would be
cool to volume render very very large data sets using paraview
that is just too slow on a single processor even using a nVidia quadro4
980 graphics card.

anyway, I'm looking forward to the future developments regarding volume
rendering in paraview that you mention!

cheers

Dan

On 1 Apr 2005, at 19:06, paraview-request at paraview.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:02:08 -0700
> From: "Wylie, Brian" <bnwylie at sandia.gov>
> Subject: RE: [Paraview] Re: ParaView volume rendering?
> To: "Amy Squillacote" <amy.squillacote at kitware.com>,
> 	paraview at paraview.org
>
> All,
>
> The only constraint on the volume rendering is unstructured grid. The
> current mappers will automatically tetralhedralize if necessary and
> you can render cell centered data as well (I believe Moreland added
> that a few months ago). Also if you have structured data you can do
> the silly thing of running the 'Tetrahedralize' filter on it and then
> of course you'll have unstructured data... :)
>
> The whole "...not competing with VolView..." is an issue that I'm not
> going to touch with a ten foot pole. :)
>
> Also be aware that the volume rendering in ParaView is very much a
> work in progress, upcoming versions will have parallel, faster, higher
> quality techniques that Kitware and Sandia (and Utah for that matter)
> are currently working on.
Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and
Department of Biological and Environmental science
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box  35
University of Jyväskylä