[Paraview] Writing new readers for paraview

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs . ch
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:01:22 +0200

Berk Geveci wrote:
> There is no document yet, not even an alpha. Sorry. ParaView can use
> any reader that can be created in Tcl as long as it's interface
> meets certain requirements:

> I have described how to add the reader with an xml file in a previous
> e-mail: http://public . kitware . com/pipermail/paraview/2003-September/000290 . html

I have another question. I followed all steps indicated by Berk for a
local reader, compiled in my vtkLocal. My XML file indicates that the
reader is found in <Library name="vtkLocalTCL"/> and everything works as
advertised.

The problem happens in client-server mode. It happens that my reader
uses a commercial library only available under Linux. I have compiled it
under my Linux platform and wish to connect a Windows-based Paraview
client to my Linux platform where ParaView runs in server mode. Can I do
it? It seems not, since it is the client which parses the XML stuff,
while [as I understand] it is the server which actually reads the data.

Any hints would be appreciated. TIA.

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre at cscs . ch
http://www . cscs . ch/people/Favre . html