[Paraview] still trying to add VTK sources and filters

Berk Geveci berk.geveci@kitware.com
10 Mar 2003 09:06:59 -0500

Hi Michael,

The reason we have not provided any documentation nor a DTD for
the XML used in ParaView is that it is still changing rapidly
and that we did not want to tie ourselves to anything before
we have something we believe is final. Having said that, I can
give you some pointers:

1. When ParaView starts, it looks in a directory pointed by
the PV_INTERFACE_PATH env. variable and tries to load all
.xml files there.

2. If you compiled your own sources and filters into a separate
library, you have to tell ParaView to load it in the XML. NOTE:
You need to generate the TCL wrapped library as well. Here is
how to do it:

<ModuleInterfaces>
  <Library name="vtkMyLibraryTCL"/>
  <!-- interface description for the modules goes here-->
</ModuleInterfaces>

You also have to setup your TCLLIBPATH and PATH to include
where the library is.

3. Look at ParaView/vtkPVDefaultModules.h to see how the
modules in ParaView are done. It is a little hard to read
but should contain all the information you need.

4. Keep in mind that the XML can change and you might end up
having to update your XML files in future.

Let me know if you any questions.

-Berk