[Paraview] .vtk -> .pvtk

Charles Law charles.law@kitware.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:53:13 -0500

Randy,

If you are running ParaView in parallel, it will automatically read your
VTK file and break it up among processors.  It may not be efficient.  By
default, each process reads the whole data set and then extracts the piece
it needs.  If you set the environment variable PV_USE_TRANSMIT to 1, then
this process is more efficient.  Process 0 will read the data set and send
pieces to all the other processes.

If you save any data set while running with multiple processes, it will use
the pvtk format.

The pvtk format is pretty straight forward. Each process writes a stand
alone vtk file, and a top level (pvtk) file is written in xml format to
"glue" all the pieces together.  The pvtk reader is smart enough to collect
data from multiple files.  You can read with a different (smaller) number
of processes that were used to write the file.

Let us know how it goes.

Charles.