The Visualization ToolKit (VTK) is an open source, freely available software system for 3D computer graphics, image processing, and visualization used by thousands of researchers and developers around the world. VTK consists of a C++ class library, and several interpreted interface layers including Tcl/Tk, Java, and Python. Professional support and products for VTK are provided by Kitware, Inc. (www.kitware.com) VTK supports a wide variety of visualization algorithms including scalar, vector, tensor, texture, and volumetric methods; and advanced modeling techniques such as implicit modelling, polygon reduction, mesh smoothing, cutting, contouring, and Delaunay triangulation. In addition, dozens of imaging algorithms have been directly integrated to allow the user to mix 2D imaging / 3D graphics algorithms and data.
- 1 Administrative Topics
- 2 Releases
- 3 Projects
- 4 External Links
- 5 Development Process
- 6 Learning VTK
- 7 Wrapping
- 8 Developers Corner
- 9 Wiki Sandbox
- Where can I find more information about VTK?
- Where can I download VTK?
- Where can I download a tarball of the nightly HTML documentation?
- How do I build the Doxygen documentation?
- Where can I get VTK Datasets?
- VTK Patch Procedure -- merge requests for the current release branch
- What are some projects using VTK?
- VTK 5.8: New Classes
For inclusion in VTK 5.0
For inclusion in VTK 5.2
- VTK Java Wrapping
- Composite Data Redesign
- Shaders in VTK
- VTK with Matlab
- VTK Time support
- VTK Graph Layout
- VTK Depth Peeling
- Using VTK with JRuby
For inclusion in VTK 5.4
For inclusion in VTK 5.6
- VTK Multi-Pass Rendering
- Multicore and Streaming
- Array Refactoring
- 3DConnexion Devices Support
- New Charts API
- New Cell Picker and Volume Picking (start Nov 2010, finish Feb 2010)
For inclusion in VTK 5.8
- Polyhedron cells and MVC Interpolation
- Clipping of closed surfaces (start Mar 26, 2010, finish Apr 22, 2010)
- New wrappers (start Apr 28, 2010)
- Improved image stencil support (start Nov 3, 2010)
- MNI file formats
For inclusion in next VTK release
- Change unicode readers/writers to register as codecs (Proposed)
- Remove VTK 4 compatibility layer from pipeline
- New image rendering classes (start Dec 15 2010, finish Mar 15 2010)
- IMTEK Mathematica Supplement (IMS), the Open Source IMTEK Mathematica Supplement (IMS) interfaces VTK and generates ParaView batch scripts
- , VTK examples in C# (Visual Studio 5.0 and .NET 2.0)
The VTK Community is upgrading its development process. We are doing this in response to the continuing and rapid growth of the toolkit. A VTK Architecture Review Board VTK ARB is being put in place to provide strategic guidance to the community, and individuals are being identified as leaders in various VTK subsystems.
Have a question or topic for the ARB to discuss about the future of VTK? First, please bring the topic to the VTK developers mailing list. If the issue is not resolved there or needs further planning or direction, you may enter a suggested topic for discussion.
- Examples - Short code examples demonstrating basic functionalities of VTK.
- Tutorials - Slightly longer than the examples, these tutorials explain concepts and demonstrate more complicated tasks in VTK.