With Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7:
- Launch the CMake GUI
- Next to "Where is the source code:", click "Browse Source..." and navigate to where you cloned the repository with Git.
- Next to "Where to build the binaries:", select "Browse Build..." and select a place to build the VTK library. I like to use c:\build\VTK. This directory should NOT be inside the directory where you cloned the repository.
- Click "Configure", and then specify "Visual Studio 10" as the generator for this project.
- Choose your build options. I like to UNCHECK BUILD_EXAMPLES and BUILD_TESTING as they speed up the build process significantly.
- If you choose the Qt module, you will also need Qt for Open Source C++ development on Windows (VS2010) (http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/windows-cpp-vs2010). NOTE: the "QT SDK" does NOT contain qmake.exe and hence is not sufficient to build against.
- Click "Generate".
- Open Visual Studio 2010
- Open Project
- Navigate to the Build directory you specified through CMake
- Open the ALL_BUILD project
- From the Build menu, choose "Build Solution" (or "Build ALL_BUILD")