Summit May 24, 2011
From ParaQ WikiJump to navigationJump to search
|Tuesday, May 25th, 2011|
|8:30-9:00||Coffee and knock-knock jokes|
|9:00-10:00||ParaView 3.12 Release|
- Targeted for end of July
- Major deliverables include:
- CTH fixes:
- CTH clip should pass arrays
- CTH contour with slicing and capping
- CTH clip/contour with multiple iso-values
- SPYPlot reader issues
- Cube Axes fixes
- Exodus Caching (disabled by default, but configurable from panel).
- IceT 2.1
- Adaptive ParaView should be integrated into ParaView (not as a plugin, but available by default)
- Make it easier to build/bring in static plugins
- Smart determination of LOD/Remote render thresholds etc.
- Disable (or qualify) progress events for large number of cores
- Patch versions should be client-server compatible.
- Migrate to new workflow (both development process as well as git)
- CTH fixes:
|Topics identified for discussion (* indicates discussed topics)|
|ParaView 4.0||Beyond 4.0|
|User Interface Improvements *||Metadata gathering and storage|
|Find Data + Data Triage/Reduction *||Error + Uncertainty Viz|
|Statistics *||ParaView Web *|
|Multiblock Support||Temporal Parallelism|
|Compression (JPEG 200)||Hyperflow|
|Manta + Windows||Fault Tolerance + Hadoop|
Compression + Uncertainty/Error Visualization
- Need to incorporate JPEG 2000 implementation into VTK (possibly OpenJPEG)
- Add OpenJPEG to superbuild
- Investigate compile time switching of implementations (so users can use proprietary versions they seem to be faster then currently available Open Source ones)
- Develop mini-server to deliver JPEG streams to adaptive-reader in ParaView
- Investigate propagation of single-value error epsilons associated with data arrays
- All these are targeted for 4.0
- Going to the future, we need to investigate how to represent error/uncertainty values associated with every value in an array (add a new attribute type?)
User Interface Improvements
- Adaptive adjusting of different threshold in ParaView such as LOD/remote render thresholds, outline threshold, interactive render delay etc. Rob to write a proposal.
- Context menus should have a mechanism to say "what are the data values here".
- Hover-label mode, in which data-labels are show as user hovers over them
- User should be able to pick locations to label + pick to spreadsheet
- ParaView_Usability_Improvements#Style_for_Object_Inspector Summary Panel
- Similar to what's shown at the link, except, we possibly add an Apply button between the two property groups.
- Should be xml-hint configurable
- Possibility to control values shown in the simplified panel using the Context-Menu (values changed from context-menu should auto-apply).
- Display-Tab has a widget to help identify the active view. This widget is a small graphic that shows rectangles for the views as they are layed out, with the active view highlighted with a solid color block.
- All panels (properties/information) become dockable panels.
- Always acts on current timestep (no over-time queries yet)
- No SQL-like queries
- Extract Selection filters should always generate a mask, then we can combine multiple extract selections based on boolean operations like and/or etc.
- For 4.0 we add support for some basic stat queries like standard deviation, quartiles etc. which are chosen from the drop-down box without support for add/or or arbitrary functions.
- Need to add support to "Save To Web' to ParaView Qt application
- For 4.0 add ability to download "pvsc" files i.e. server configuration files from URLs (similar to debian apt source list)
- Investigate vtkArray integration (past ParaView 4.0), possibly for VTK 6.0.
- Team agreed upon a Kanban based workflow (details to follow).
- Team agreed on changes to ParaView git workflow (details to follow).