This page serves as the formal gathering place for discussions, documentation, and doodling related to ParaQ design. It's the final resting place for documents that may appear other places in the site (for example, on the page for a meeting, if the document was presented at that meeting).
- Design document, presented and discussed at the first ParQ summit.
- Crash Test Dummies - the modern-day equivalent of straw men.
- ParaQ Applications - prototypes of specialized applications built on the ParaQ framework.
- Plotting Parallel Data (PGraph) - Initial design for the parallel plotting framework.
- PGraph Implementation - Notes on the (current) state of the PGraph implementation.
- PGraph User Interface - Initial discussion on how users could create and interact with PGraph.
Client / Server
- Loading state from XML
- ParaQ:Client-Server_Connections - an overview of client / server connections.
- MultipleServerConnections - discusses modifications to the PSM API to support connections among multiple clients and servers.
- Secure Connections - discusses using SSL to secure forward and reverse connections, plus reconnects, etc.
- Server Connections - discusses requirements and design for making server connections.
- Where's The State? - covers some recently-identified issues with where we store state - client or server?
- Mulit-Client-Multi-Server Issues - discusses issues with multi-client-multi-server configurations.
- Modal Dialogs - how to (and how not to) implement modal dialogs in the Qt client.
- File Browser - the ultimate local/remote file browser!
- SynchronizingWidgets - How to keep GUI widgets synchronized with each other.
- ThreadedGUI - Discussion of issues related to threading a GUI with the Server Manager.
- GUI/ServerManager API - Architecture for how the GUI code interacts with the Server Manager.
- Compound Filter Design - Design of Compound Filters
- Exodus Reader Object Inspector
- Overall UI Design
- Selection - possible approaches to handling interactive selection of geometry.
- Selection Use Cases - Defining some use cases to help drive requirements for the selection implementation.
- Early Testing Prototype - brief overview of the prototype testing implemented in the original "Hello, World" client.
- Testing Design - discusses the later, agreed-upon design for testing in the ParaQ client.
- ParaView 2.4.x User Testing - User testing on the existing ParaView user interface, to find out requirements and other improvments that we can make in ParaQ.
- ParaQ User Testing - User testing on ParaQ.
- UI Design Guidelines document
- UI Design Literature Study
- High Level Usability Goals
- Popup/Panel/Modal and Non-modal Dialog Discussion
- Screen Updates - a framework for handling screen updates that allows for a wide variety of update policies.
- Undo Design - describes a framework for storing client-side and server-side state-changes that can be undone / redone.
- Screen Update / Undo Interaction - discusses use-cases where screen updates and undo / redo operations intersect.
High level design
- High Level Design - A high level design for how the core ParaQ functionality interacts with componentes of ParaQ. And how multiple applications can work with ParaQ.